Forums : MEP006A Utility GenSet NSN 6115-00-118-1243

Note: OldMan can be sporadic in his visits. If you do not get an answer fast enough, just contact him.

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 am All times are UTC -4 hours

MEP006A Utility GenSet NSN 6115-00-118-1243

rdspal

R
Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:35 pm
Having searched for information on converting my 60Kw generator 3 phase unit to a single phase output I was delighted to read thru your directions on re-wiring the military surplus three phase generator.
My question is concerning re-wired unit from T12 to T8; I would like to re-wire in the Zig Zag configuration to have access to 240v, so would that be from T6 to T8 as in the diagram or in accordance with your closing statement "Then I added a battery cable to choose which position I would connect T12...If I connect T12 to T2 I have a ZIG ZAG in Low or High"
Thanks for your information
Rick

AnOldMan

A
Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:36 pm
"First I cut the buss bar from T12 on the back of the reconnect board. I left it laying there so you could see what I cut off."
This is a drawing, from the page, of the resulting reconnect board connections - blue boxes show connections between lugs.
As you can see, there is no longer a connection from T11 to T12. My "jumper" is illustrated as the diagonal box between T6 and T8.

AnOldMan

A
Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:52 pm
I added a battery cable to choose which position I would connect T12.
If I connect T12 to the N lug, I have WYE in LOW or HIGH.
If I connect T12 to T2, I have ZIG ZAG in LOW or HIGH.

The "N lug" is obviously the buss-bar, which connects across N - T10 - T11 and -did- connect to T12.
With T12 connected to T6 by the selector-plate bus bar, I can connect T6/T12 to T8/T2 (also jumped by bus bars) for zig/zag -or- connect T6/T12 to N/T10/T11/T4/T5 (several bus bars jumping all those together) for wye ( original configuration ).
I apologize if my semantics were not perfectly exact. Connecting two lugs together that are also already jumped to other lugs results in the same electrical connection[s], regardless of which of the multiple connection points you use.
None of this makes any difference whatsoever if your genset does not have the reconnect board. Simply set your junction[s] to match what would be connected by the buss bars.
Edited Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:09 pm by AnOldMan

AnOldMan

A
Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm
And here are the inter-connects highlighted.

AnOldMan

A
Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:12 pm
original low wye - original high wye

zig-zag low - zig-zag high

rdspal

R
Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:44 pm
Thank you for your reply and explanation. My genset is the MEP006A "utility" unit; so all the attributes are exactly as you described, so I'm good to go with the conversion.
Maybe I have just two last questions ...1) do you have any recommendations on rewiring the secondary leads so load measurements & excitors will work properly(or is it necessary)? 2) Is it necessary to physically disconnect T2 from L2?
Okay, I'll stop bothering you

AnOldMan

A
Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 pm
You don't need to remove T2 from L2 - just don't put any load on L2.
I messed with the load sensors - they're wired for delta and won't be accurate. I never got enough load to verify, but basically you'd want to rewire the delta to be a zig-zag also. I put dpdt switches on mine ( where the leads come off the current transformers and head to the load measuring unit ) and tried switching them between states, but -again- don't think I ever had enough load to verify they were working correctly.
Do you have full wiring diagram[s] ? Here's the AC diagram page (also on one of original door plates):
/files/AC-Diagram.pdf
I have the full manuals if you're interested.
TM-5-6115-545-12.pdf ~ 14mb
TM-5-6115-545-34.pdf ~ 11mb
TM-9-6115-545-24P.pdf ~ 4mb

rdspal

R
Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 am
Great
Thanks so much for the info...I am armed with information and shall go forth an product...electricity, that is!